The objective of most maps is to fetch the cheese and bring it back to the hole.
For each cheese you bring back to the hole, you obtain one cheese currency. Bringing cheese back to the hole also increases the score you have for the room, based on how you placed (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc...), or if you died.
When a player brings the cheese to the hole, "Cheeeeeese *-* (XX.XXs)" appears in the chat to the player, the "X"s being the timestamp of when you entered the hole with the cheese.
When you die, it says "No cheese for you! ^_^".
- This also happens when you used /mort while AFK.
- This happens when you don't bring the cheese back to the hole and survive to the end of a round.
By bringing cheese to the hole, you obtain cheese as a currency in the shop, as well as increasing the "Gathered cheese" stat on your profile. Cheese currency is used to create a tribe, create maps in the Map Editor, and purchase apparel items and Shaman items in the shop, while the "Gathered cheese" stat unlocks titles.
Note that when you buy items with shop cheese, it does not subtract from the number of cheese gathered on your profile.
Since 2020, shop cheese only increases for the first 60 gathered cheese in a 30 minutes interval, starting from when you gather the first cheese. After that, gathered cheese only increases the stat on your profile, but not the cheese count in the shop, until the 30 minutes is up. For example, if you completed 58 normal maps and 2 dodue (multiple cheese) maps where you collected 3 cheese each, your shop cheese count will increase by 58 + (2 * 3) = 64 and will not increase further until 30 minutes has passed since the first completed map. This limit may have been implemented to discourage cheese farming.
Currency can also be traded by using cheese coins (cc). Cheese coins are a consumable that adds cheese currency to your shop when consumed. They are tradable before they are used, and can be obtained in events, by completing daily quests, or purchased from village rooms using shaman, racing, bootcamp, survivor, or adventure ticket coins.
Dodue lets mice collect up to 3 cheese on the same map. For every cheese picked up, the mouse's mass increase and the ability to jump delays.
- It is possible to obtain cheese via promotions (such as the "/facebook" chat command or confirming your e-mail in game), but this is only for shop cheese — it does not increase the "Cheese Gathered" stat on your profile.
- The cheese's size can be increased by allocating skill points into the appropriately named Big Cheese skill.
- It is possible to lose cheese in the shop following a ban for hack.
- Shaman skill Big Cheese can increase the size of the cheese.
- Shaman skill Chief's Food can transfer cheese from the shaman to a mouse.